Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Wrong Number :)



Have you ever seen a mother getting crank calls :) generally young girls my age (hello i WILL not call myself a lady) will be the hitlist of bored guys who want to have some fun.

My mother was screaming wild at someone on the phone. I have had my turn of problems when i was in school. But i have never been at my mother's place for the past 7 years. So the call cannot be for me. I was surprised at how my mom was reacting to the phone call.

Ring Ring.
Mother: Hello.
Other end they say something.
Mother: yes.
Other end: ************
Mother: wrong number.
other end: ********
mother: no you have gotten one digit in the number wrong. it is not 6541. try 6514.
other: ***********
My mom slams the phone down.

Ring Ring.

Mother: Hello
Other end: *************
Mother: I am telling you to call 6514. It is wrong in the yellow pages. Please try the number that i have told you. (a bit irritated this time)
She slammed the phone again.

I was surprised and curious about the call. (After all i have had times when my mother had given me her piece of mind when i got crank calls - I would love to get back at her :D )
Me: who was that ma?
mother: nothing baby. dont bother.
me: oye. dont lie. i saw your reaction. which guy is trying to woo my mother.
mother: dont imagine too much. the yellow pages has a printing mistake. so anyone who wants to call 6514 calls our number.
(still that does not explain why she was taking pains to verify what the correct number is and tell the caller.)
me: so why are you even entertaining the caller and telling correct number. you can as well tell wrong number and hang up. and why so much of irritation?
mother: (thinking if she should tell me and a bit embarassed) the number for AIDS center has been given as our number wrongly. so i digged to find the correct number. after all may be the person who is calling is worried if they are having AIDS.
me: (laughing) oh so you are running a AIDS call center according to yellow pages. WOW :D
mother: its not so funny.

Ring Ring.
at this we both laughed.
mother: hello
other end: (i could understand the conversation now) is this the AIDS call center
mother: wrong number. try 6514. that is the correct number.
she kept the phone down.

my mother was doing what little help she could to lessen the embarassments and anxiousness of the caller.
after all she had the respnsibility and heart to make up for the telephone exchange's flaw. :)

4 comments:

Raghav Kandubai said...

: )

Anonymous said...

Hey too gud dear!!!!!!!!

Oops ur mom is answering to AIDS call centre call is it i dint know it!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Oops i have also entered my comment without sory arch its all the touch of ur Blog....

remotely said...

hi ...nice blog...i'm preethi