Thursday, December 14, 2006

Selective Amnesia??

I used to think i was absent-minded. My friends always complain of my poor memory to keep track of minute details. Usually i may tend to forget silly matters, concerning my friends or me, equally. I believed that it was because i concentrate on other serious issues and tend to neglect simple matters and that they dont get registered properly. Only last week i realised the true status of my memory power.

My sister L had come to India with her husband and daughter(Adi). I wanted to buy Adi a gift from Landmark. So L, Adi, my friend N and me walked to Citi center from my home.

L: Hmm.. (Sigh) How long has it become already. Years since i walked last on this road. (Her face showed symptoms of recollecting the past and living it)

Me: (Surprised) Have you come here before?? Did you visit home last time you came here when i was away in Bangalore?

L: (shocked at my question) Oye.. I lived with you for one solid year. I did my DPM training in Chennai. and i lived with you then. Did you forget?

Me: (bewildered) Hey, dont kid me. Enough of bluffing and playing with me. I wont get fooled so easily. (Smiled a victory smile)

L: Hello. I am not lying. Babes, one day dont forget that i exist!! (there was sadness in her tone)

I was not sure if she was telling the truth. so changed the topic. I got Adi a dancing Barbie doll.

That night i spoke to my dad and mom.

Me: L was telling me that she stayed at our home for almost a year and did her DPM. Is that true?

Dad: Yes. (it was a 'as a matter of fact' tone) I used to drop her everyday to the bus stop, remember?

(i was screaming inside. 'NO I DONT REMEMBER. else why would i ask?')

Me: (trying to collect myself and recall any incident whatsoever. my mind is blank) Oh my God!!

Dad: She used to sleep with you in this very room. we used to sleep in the other room, remember? It was in your 10th std.

he gave a mini description of even the bed settings. I cant believe it. I dont remember an entire year of my life. Even if it had been childhood i could have forgiven myself. It was just 7 to 8 years back. And no recollection. TOTALLY.

What can i say? is this what people call selective amnesia??

I know what you are thinking now

Reader: Instead of writing a blog, go meet a doc. That way you will save two lives. One yours, another MINE!!

me: hee hee.. (smiling sheepishly as if caught red-handed)

No comments: