Thursday, January 18, 2007

A victorious smile..

It was another rush day in the bus. I hate men falling onto the girls calling it the rush-hour.
The banglorean bus transport has this facility that girls get a seat in the front and the men are supposed to sit only in the back. I was sitting in the 4th and the last row of women's seat and a guy, almost my age sat right next to me.

The bus was overly crowded and the girls who were standing in front could probably not see that a guy was sitting beside me. Or they were tolerant/generous enough to let a mannerless guy to sit in the women's seat.

I got a call from a friend and i spoke in my mother-tongue, Tamil. The conversation was a very short one.

And then surprisingly this chap sitting next to me started a conversation. For the first time, i liked having a conversation with a stranger!!

the guy (G): Are you a tamilian?

me: (now you want to talk to me?) yes. (so saying, i turned my head. to make him understand that i was not interested in talking to him)

G: your working for CTS is it?

I gave him a quizzical look. Then he showed me my tag. I smiled and turned my head away again.

G: even i work for CTS. (and a huge smile from him as if it was an accomplishment to be working for the company or working in the same company as me - am not sure)

He kept nudging and sitting closer. The crowd was getting to be unbearable. Not much of air to breathe either. I opened the window a little bit more.

G: unga sondha oor edhu?

me: thanjavur.

G: apadiya? naan thiruchi dhaan. enga padicheenga?

me: shunmugha.

At this he moved a little bit away from me. I was surprised at his reaction.

G: which year passout??

me: 2005 batch.

He moved a little further away from me.

G: do you know priya?

me: from which dept?

G: Cse.

me: (with a smile on my face) We are a gang of 10. She is one of my good friends.

G: Oh.

(Now he turned his face away from me)

me: Are you Priya's cousin brother?

G: Yes. I will ask Priya about you.

me: Sure. (the smile was still persistent on my face this time) You are Bharath right?

G: Yes. How do you know? ( He was totally shocked when i said his name out aloud. He had withdrawn from me slowly because i knew his sister!!! Only now i understood his reaction :D I felt it to be funny.)

me: You are from Bombay right. You joined CTS a year back. You work for the CSSBU under Mr.Mehtha?

G: (an unbelievable look on his face now) You seem to be knowing my entire history!!

me: Well, Priya is that close to me.

G: I will tell Priya about you surely.

me: Tell her it was vg. She ll know me better by that name.

I smiled. A victorious smile. I had made him feel sorry for his constant nudging - one of a usual mannerless act by the men. I guess that will be the last time he ever did that to any girl.
This was even more funny to me. He invited a girl to sit in his seat!! What a loser?

No comments: